Hemp Seed Meal 33% - High Quality Protein from Ground Hemp Seeds with some fat removed.
Choose Hemp Seed Meal with 13% Fat and 33% Protein, if you do not want your horse to have as many fat calories.
The fat content of hemp seeds contains all the identified essential fatty acids, known as the omegas. Hemp seed oil provides not only Omega 3 and Omega 6, but Omega 9 as well. But what really sets Hemp seed oil apart from the other oils is that it provides GLA: gamma linolenic acid. Hemp seed plant based oilseed provides essential fatty acids: Linoleic acid (an omega 6) and alpha linolenic acid (an omega 3) in a 2.8:1 ratio of omega 6s to 3s. Though inverted in relation to what would be found in pasture grasses, hemp seed oil has an added "secret weapon" that is not commonly found: Gamma Linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is actually an omega 6 fatty acid, but, unlike other omega 6s that increase inflammation, GLA reduces it in humans, benefiting a wide array of chronic inflammatory-related illnesses including skin conditions, allergies, degenerative joint disease, heart disease, and diabetes. Although little research has been done on GLA in horses, it is reasonable to extrapolate its benefits to equine inflammatory conditions.
GLA is a regulator of the prostaglandins, the hormone-like substances that act as chemical messengers inside the cell
Their physiological effects include regulation of inflammation. There are two predominant prostaglandins:
- PGE-1 the anti-inflammatory prostaglandin
- PGE-2 the pro-inflammatory prostaglandin.
GLA increases production of PGE-1, thus reducing the levels of PGE-2. Hemp seed oil further provides GLA, antioxidants, and the ability to reduce muscle glycogen fatigue.
Ground Hemp Seed Meal - A Nutritious Whole Food
When hemp seeds are ground into a meal with some fat removed, they becomes a nutritious whole food that offers high quality protein in a highly palatable form. This is very important to your horse because he requires enough essential amino acids (building blocks) to synthesize body proteins, including muscle, hooves, blood proteins, antibodies, skin, vital organs, hormones, and more. An important aspect of hemp protein is that it is a quality source of the amino acids arginine and histidine, both of which are important for growth, and of the sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cysteine, both of which are needed in the production of vital enzymes, as well as keratin, the protein found in hooves and hair.
If only one source of protein is fed (as with one type of grass hay), your horse will not get sufficient amino acids to stay healthy and peripheral tissues such as skin, hooves, and joints, will show signs of malnutrition. Hemp seeds offer all ten essential amino acids (those that must be in the diet) in proper proportion to be best utilized by the body. The quality of protein found in hemp seeds is so high in fact, that it rivals soybeans.
Read Dr. Getty's article "Choose Hemp Instead of Soy!"
When Is Hemp Seed Meal Appropriate?
Hemp seed meal is appropriate for:
- Hay-based diets
- Recovery from illness or injury
- Equine Cushing's Disease (PPID)
- Insulin resistant horses
- Hoof health
- Aging horses
- Loss of muscle mass
- Recovering from ulcers
- Growing horses
- Pregnant and lactating mares
- Athletes or working horses
Analysis - 1/2 cup
- Protein: 22 grams
- Sugar: 1 gram
- Fiber: 14 grams
- Linoleic acid (omega 6): 2000 mg
- Alpha Linolenic acid (omega 3): 600 mg
- Gamma Linolenic acid (omega 6): 995 mg
Feed 1/2 to 2 cups per day.
One year if stored properly (sealed container in a cool setting, out of direct sunlight)
Click here for a recent study on hemp products from the University of Edinburgh.
Sizing, Price and Serving Details
- 6 lb - two 3lb bags (30 1/2 cup servings) - $39.95
- 12 lbs - four 3lb bags - (60 1/2 cup servings) - $74.95
- 25 bucket - NEW Larger size, same price! (125 1/2 cup servings) - $119.95
- 50 lb bag (252 1/2 cup servings) - $179.95
Other Hemp Products:
- Organic Hemp Seed Heart Oil by Getty Equine Nutrition - All the goodness of 100% Canadian cold-pressed hemp seed oil, offering Gamma Linolenic Acid to reduce inflammation.
- Hemp Seed Hearts - Organic or Non-GMO by Getty Equine Nutrition - hemp hearts are the inner seed once the fibrous hull is removed. Concentrated in beneficial fats and quality protein. Fat - 43% with 30% Protein. Choose this for adding extra protein and fat.
- Organic Hemp Protein - 74 Percent by Getty Equine Nutrition is made by extracting the protein from hemp seed hearts and removing the fat, making it a concentrated, isolate to boost the protein content and quality of your horse's diet.
*Hemp Seed Protein Powder is shipped via USPS and occasionally by FedEx within 2 days of your order. Free Shipping is within the continental U.S. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii or Canada will be charged separately (sorry, no international orders except for Canada). Please email GettyEquineNutrition@gmail.com or call 940-272-0001 for exact shipping charges.
** Not available for sale or shipment to California