Resource Library - Aged Horses
The aging horse has so much to offer: wisdom, experience, and confidence, to name but a few attributes. Helping him grow old in good health and with dignity is a gift every horse owner hopes to be able to bestow.
How old is old? By today's standards, a lot older than it used to be. It used to be that horses in their early teens were considered old, especially is they were working very hard. Today, a horse in his late teens, and even well into his 20s, can fool people and not look anywhere close to their age, while living very useful lives. And it's not all that uncommon to see horses live well into their 30s.
Horses have health issues as they age. The resources below offer in depth discussions on how to keep your aging horse at his best.
Spotlight on Nutrition Books ($14.95)
- How to Help Your Aging Horse Live A Vibrant Life
- Older Horses Need Supplemental Vitamin C
- The Secret to Healthy Horses? Keep it Simple!
- Whole Food Options to Boost Protein Quality
- Chia Seeds - Nature's Tiny Miracle
- CBD for Horses - What You Can Expect
- Topline Loss - How Nutrition Can Help
Research Reflections (Free)
Dr. Getty provides insights on relevant nutrition research and how it impacts your horses' health.
Recorded Seminars ($9.95 each)
Interview Podcasts (Free)
Listen to Dr. Juliet Getty, special guest on Jim Swanner's, "All About Horses" radio program or Monty Roberts' Horsemanship radio as she discusses the following topic(s). Recordings are each 30 minutes in length.
- "The Aging Horse - Growing Old with Dignity and in Good Health" – Interview with Jim Swanner
"Feed Your Horse Like A Horse" (starting at $57.95)
- Dr. Getty's comprehensive reference offering you information on a vast variety of topics. See the section on "Growing Old," starting on page 359.
Forage for Thought Newsletter (Free)
To receive free bi-monthly articles and news to help meet your horse's nutritional needs, consider subscribing to Forage for Thought - Dr. Getty's email newsletter. You may opt-in here - and may unsubscribe at any time.