Resource Library - Free Choice Forage Feeding Concepts
The digestive tract of your horse is designed to have forage steadily flowing through it at all times. By making forage available, all day and all night, 24/7, you are feeding your horse in sync with they way nature intended. Whether it be hay, pasture, or a combination of both, letting your horse get the message that it is always there will allow him to self-regulate his intake and eat what his body needs. This is the only way to maintain health and long-term vibrancy. This applies to all horses, regardless of their activity level, body condition, or metabolic status.
You can feed the most expensive feed and supplements, but none of it will truly matter if you do not respect and honor the way your horse was made.
There are many reasons for this. The materials below provide you with insight on the reasons why, while offering you suggestions on how to get started.
Spotlight on Nutrition Books ($14.95)
- Respect the Power of the Horse's Instincts
- Free-Choice Forage Feeding: Beyond the Basics
- Restricting Forage is Incredibly Stressful - Choose a Different Approach for Weight Loss
- The Secret to Healthy Horses? Keep it Simple!
- The Correct Way to Use Slow Feeders
- Obesity. The Real Cause. The Real Fix.
- Can the Damaged Insulin Resistant Horse be Fixed?
- Every Horse Needs These Five Things
- My Horse is Gaining Weight on Free-Choice Forage! Why Isn't it Working?
- Winter Freedom!
- Gas Colic - Common, but Preventable!
- Forage Deprivation Keeps Your Horse Fat - The Research
Research Reflections (Free)
Recorded Seminars ($9.95 each)
Interview Podcasts (Free)
Listen to Dr. Juliet Getty, special guest on Jim Swanner's, "All About Horses" radio program or Monty Roberts' Horsemanship radio as she discusses the following topic(s). Recordings are each 30 minutes in length.
- "Why Free-Choice Forage Feeding Should Be the Only Choice for Your Horse" – Interview with Jim Swanner
- How to Respect the Power of the Horse's Instincts - Monty Roberts' Horsemanship Radio
"Feed Your Horse Like A Horse" (starting at $57.95)
- Dr. Getty's comprehensive reference offering you information on a vast variety of topics. The "how" and "why" of free-choice forage feeding are addressed throughout the book.
Forage for Thought Newsletter (Free)
To receive free bi-monthly articles and news to help meet your horse's nutritional needs, consider subscribing to Forage for Thought - Dr. Getty's email newsletter. You may opt-in here - and may unsubscribe at any time.