Hemp seed hearts are the heart of the seed
They are the product of the dehulling process.
With a nutty, pleasant flavor and aroma, they are organically grown, gluten free, with high quality protein, offering all 10 essential amino acids. They are 65% highest quality globulin, edestin, and the rest albumin type protein which supports immune function, is easily digestible, and has no enzyme inhibitors like nuts, grains and legumes.
Choose Hemp seed hearts with 40% Fat and 30% Protein if your horse needs extra protein along with extra fat calories.
The fat content of hemp seeds contains all the identified essential fatty acids, known as the omegas. The oil in hemp seeds provides not only Omega 3 and Omega 6, but Omega 9 as well. But what really sets Hemp seed oil apart from the other oils is that it provides GLA: gamma linolenic acid. Hemp seed plant based oilseed provides essential fatty acids: Linoleic acid (an omega 6) and alpha linolenic acid (an omega 3) in a 2.8:1 ratio of omega 6s to 3s. Though inverted in relation to what would be found in pasture grasses, hemp seed oil has an added "secret weapon" that is not commonly found: Gamma Linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is actually an omega 6 fatty acid, but, unlike other omega 6s that increase inflammation, GLA reduces it in humans, benefiting a wide array of chronic inflammatory-related illnesses including skin conditions, allergies, degenerative joint disease, heart disease, and diabetes. Although little research has been done on GLA in horses, it is reasonable to extrapolate its benefits to equine inflammatory conditions.
GLA is a regulator of the prostaglandins, the hormone-like substances that act as chemical messengers inside the cell
Their physiological effects include regulation of inflammation. There are two predominant prostaglandins:
- PGE-1 the anti-inflammatory prostaglandin
- PGE-2 the pro-inflammatory prostaglandin.
GLA increases production of PGE-1, thus reducing the levels of PGE-2. Hemp seed oil further provides GLA, antioxidants, and the ability to reduce muscle glycogen fatigue.
Hemp seed hearts - A Nutritious Whole Food
The protein quality of hemp seed hearts exceeds soy. They are a nutritious whole food that offers high quality protein in a highly palatable form. This is very important to your horse because he requires enough essential amino acids (building blocks) to synthesize body proteins, including muscle, hooves, blood proteins, antibodies, skin, vital organs, hormones, and more. An important aspect of hemp protein is that it is a quality source of the amino acids arginine and histidine, both of which are important for growth, and of the sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cysteine, both of which are needed in the production of vital enzymes, as well as keratin, the protein found in hooves and hair.
If only one source of protein is fed (as with one type of grass hay), your horse will not get sufficient amino acids to stay healthy and peripheral tissues such as skin, hooves, and joints, will show signs of malnutrition. Hemp seeds offer all ten essential amino acids (those that must be in the diet) in proper proportion to be best utilized by the body. The quality of protein found in hemp seeds is so high in fact, that it rivals soybeans.
Hemp hearts (hulled hemp)
1/2 cup provides 2.5 ounces by weight.
One 1/2 cup serving provides:
- Protein: 29 grams
- Sugar: 0.5 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Linoleic acid (omega 6): 19580 mg
- Alpha Linolenic acid (omega 3): 5917 m
- Gamma linolenic acid (omega 6): 1280 mg
Feed 1/3 to 1/2 cup per day, depending on health and energy needs. Can be fed up to 2 cups per day for athletes or horses suffering from underweight or considerable muscle loss.
Read Dr. Getty's article "Choose Hemp Instead of Soy!"
When are Hemp Seed Hearts Appropriate?
Hemp seed hearts are appropriate for:
- Hay-based diets
- Recovery from illness or injury
- Equine Cushing's Disease (PPID)
- Insulin resistant horses
- Hoof health
- Aging horses
- Loss of muscle mass
- Recovering from ulcers
- Growing horses
- Pregnant and lactating mares
- Athletes or working horses
- Underweight horses
For a full-sized horse (approximately 1100 lbs), feed 1/2 to 2 cups per day. Each 1/2 cup (weighs 100 grams) provides 30 grams of quality protein and 40 grams of fat.
One year if stored properly (sealed container in a cool setting, out of direct sunlight)
Click here for a recent study on hemp products from the University of Edinburgh.
Organic or Non-GMO (grown without chemicals) Hemp Seed Hearts - Sizing, Price and Serving Details
- Organic 7 lbs - two 3.5 lb bags (45 1/2 cup servings) - $67.05
- Non-GMO 7 lbs - two 3.5 lb bags (45 1/2 cup servings) - $58.25
- Organic 14 lbs - four 3.5 lb bags (90 1/2 cup servings) - $117.20
- Non-GMO 14 lbs - four 3.5 lb bags (90 1/2 cup servings) - $108.85
- Organic 21 lbs - six 3.5 bags (135 1/2 cup servings) - $163.85
- Non-GMO 21 lbs - six 3.5 bags (135 1/2 cup servings) - $147.35
- Organic 33 lbs (211 1/2 cup servings) - $241.95
- Non-GMO 50 lbs (320 1/2 cup servings) - $241.95
Other Hemp Products:
- Hemp Seed Pellets - Non-GMO - same as Hemp Seed Meal, just pelleted! Great for horses who do not like powders.
Organic Hemp Seed Heart Oil - All the goodness of 100% organic, cold-pressed hemp seed hearts oil, offering Gamma Linolenic Acid to reduce inflammation.
- Non-GMO Hemp Seed Meal - This product is formerly known as "hempseed protein fiber" - higher quality protein than soy. Fat - 13% with 33% Protein. Choose this if you do not want your horse to have as many fat calories.
- Organic Hemp Protein - 74 Percent by Getty Equine Nutrition is made by extracting the protein from hemp seed hearts and removing the fat, making it a concentrated, isolate to boost the protein content and quality of your horse's diet.
*Hemp Seed Hearts are shipped via USPS within two business days of your order. If you wish your order to ship by UPS, there is a $25 charge. Free Shipping is within the continental U.S. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, or Canada will be charged separately. Please email GettyEquineNutrition@gmail.com or call 940-272-0001 for exact shipping charges to these locations.