Hemp Protein - 74% - ORGANIC, High Quality, Complete Protein extracted from hemp seed hearts, with the fat removed. Offered by Getty Equine Nutrition!
Choose Hemp Protein 74% when you only want protein. It is low in fiber, with virtually no fat and no sugar or starch.
Organic Hemp Protein 74% is a nutritious whole food.
When hemp seed hearts are ground into a meal with all of the fat, sugar, and starch removed, it becomes a protein isolate with a small amount of fiber remaining. The protein is complete and of high quality in a highly palatable form. This is very important to your horse because he requires enough essential amino acids (building blocks) to synthesize body proteins, including muscle, hooves, blood proteins, antibodies, skin, vital organs, hormones, and more. An important aspect of hemp protein is that it is a quality source of the amino acids arginine and histidine, both of which are important for growth, and of the sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cysteine, both of which are needed in the production of vital enzymes, as well as keratin, the protein found in hooves and hair.
If only one source of protein is fed (as with one type of grass hay), your horse will not get sufficient amino acids to stay healthy and peripheral tissues such as skin, hooves, and joints, will show signs of malnutrition. Hemp protein offer all ten essential amino acids (those that must be in the diet) in proper proportion to be best utilized by the body. The quality of protein found in hemp protein is so high in fact, that it rivals soybeans.
Read Dr. Getty's article "Choose Hemp Instead of Soy!"
When Is Organic Hemp Protein 74% Appropriate?
Hemp protein 74% is appropriate for:
- Hay-based diets
- Recovery from illness or injury
- Equine Cushing's Disease (PPID)
- Insulin resistant horses
- Hoof health
- Aging horses
- Loss of muscle mass
- Recovering from ulcers
- Growing horses
- Pregnant and lactating mares
- Athletes or working horses
Analysis - 60 grams (1/2 cup)
- Protein: 44 grams (74%)
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
Feed 1 scoop twice daily for full sized horses (each scoop holds 1/2 cup or 60 grams by weight)
One year if stored properly (sealed container in a cool setting, out of direct sunlight)
Click here for a recent study on hemp products from the University of Edinburgh.
Sizing, Price and Serving Details
- 3 lbs bag (23 two-scoop servings) - $47.95
- 7 lb bag (53 two-scoop servings) - $90.95
10 lb pail (75 two-scoop servings) - $124.95
- 25 lb pail (189 two-scoop servings) - $274.95
Other Hemp Products:
- Hemp Seed Pellets - Non-GMO - same as Hemp Seed Meal, just pelleted! Great for horses who do not like powders.
Organic Hemp Seed Heart Oil - All the goodness of 100% Canadian cold-pressed hemp seed oil, offering Gamma Linolenic Acid to reduce inflammation.
- Hemp Seed Hearts - Organic or Non-GMO - hemp hearts are the inner seed once the fibrous hull is removed. Concentrated in beneficial fats and quality protein. Fat - 43% with 30% Protein. Choose this for adding extra protein and fat.
- Hemp Seed Meal - Non-GMO, grown without pesticides or herbicides - This product is formerly known as "hempseed protein fiber" - higher quality protein than soy. Fat - 13% with 33% Protein. Choose this if you do not want your horse to have as many fat calories.
*Hemp Protein 74% is shipped via USPS within 2 days of your order. Free Shipping is within the continental U.S. Shipping via UPS or FedEx is available upon request for an additional $25. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii or Canada will be charged separately (sorry, no international orders except for Canada). Please email GettyEquineNutrition@gmail.com or call 940-272-0001 for exact shipping charges.
** Not available for sale or shipment to California