Dr. Getty's Credentials
Juliet M. Getty, Ph.D. - Independent Consultant, Equine Nutrition
Getty Equine Nutrition, LLC
12608 Lignite Drive
Denton, TX 76207
Phone: (940) 487-7161
Ph.D. University of North Texas/University of Georgia; M.S. University of Florida; B.B.A. Florida Atlantic University
Areas of study: animal nutrition, biochemistry, endocrinology, physiology, marketing
Teaching (recipient of several teaching awards):
University of Georgia: Animal Nutrition, Lipids; University of North Texas: Advanced Nutrition, Comparative Nutrition, Nutrition and Exercise Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism.
- Feed Your Horse Like A Horse, a comprehensive resource on equine nutrition (currently being translated into Italian)
- “Spotlight on Equine Nutrition,” a 7-volume topical series*
- Forage for Thought, a monthly newsletter with a readership of more than 3000
- Library of articles and tips, found on GettyEquineNutrition.com
- Numerous articles published in print and online magazines and books in the U.S. and internationally**
- Equine Affaire (Ohio, Massachusetts, California)
- Equine Sciences Academy Whole Horse Symposium
- Four States Agricultural Exposition
- Rocky Mountain Horse Expo
- Western States Horse Expo
- Numerous live, radio and webinar appearances
- Advisory Board, Equine Sciences Academy (http://www.equinesciencesacademy.com)
- Resident expert, several web-based equine wellness sites
- Former contributing Nutrition Editor: Horse-Journal (www.horse-journal.com)
Juliet M. Getty, Ph.D. has been working with horse owners for more than 25 years. A pioneer in free choice forage feeding, Dr. Getty’s philosophy is founded on feeding a horse in sync with his natural needs and instincts. She approaches equine health from a holistic perspective and considers nutrition a critical (and too often overlooked) element in the prevention and treatment of disease and disorders. Her unbiased opinions and recommendations are based on scientific research and are independent of feed, supplement, or pharmaceutical company influence.
Through private consultations, she designs customized feeding plans to promote horses’ health, reverse illness, and optimize performance; she believes every horse owner should include sound nutrition practices to give every horse a lifetime of vibrant health.
Dr. Getty lives in Denton, Texas, in the Dallas/Fort Worth area with her husband.
* The “Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series” currently offers seven titles:
- Equine Digestion: It’s Decidedly Different
- Equine Cushing’s Disease: Nutritional Management
- Laminitis: A Scientific and Realistic Approach
- Easy Keeper: Making it Easy to Keep Him Healthy
- Joint Health: A Nutritional Perspective
- Aging Horse: Helping Your Horse Grow Old with Dignity and in Health
- Whole Foods and Alternative Feeds
**Including (but not limited to) Integrative Veterinary Care, The Horse, Horse Journal, Performance Horse Digest, Western Horse Review, The Horsemen’s Corral, Holistic Horse, Today's Horse Trader, Paso Fino Horse World, Miniature Horse World Magazine, The Draft Horse Journal, Stable Management, Equine VIP, EquiMed.com, Florida Equine Athlete, The Horse Channel, The Equine Chronicle, Saddle and Stirrups, Valley Equestrian News, Horsemen's Corral, and international publications such as Equine Wellness Magazine, Canadian Horse Journal, The South African Sport's Horse & Rider, as well as portions of books: The Ultimate Horse Lover (Becker, Pavia, Spadafori, and Becker), Dressage with Mind, Body, & Soul (Linda Tellington-Jones), The Smart Woman’s Guide to Midlife Horses (Melinda Folse), and The Soul of a Horse Blogged (Joe Camp).