Organic Hemp Seed Heart Oil
Hemp seed Heart Oil from Equine Chia is cold-processed and organic. Contains all the omegas: 3, 6 & 9 - along with anti-inflammatory gamma linolenic acid (GLA), which helps to reduce muscle glycogen fatigue. 24-month shelf life if stored properly (sealed container in a cool setting, out of direct sunlight).
All with Free Shipping via USPS and occasionally by FedEx.* Not available for sale or shipment to California.----
Cold Pressed Organic Hemp Seed Heart Oil - Supports Superior Health in Horses
Hemp seed heart oil is cold-pressed. Cold pressed oils, also known as cold expeller pressed oils, have been mechanically pressed from the fatty portions of the botanical while ensuring that the maximum temperature (caused by friction) does not exceed 120 degrees.This method preserves the natural antioxidants like vitamin E and Vitamin A as beta carotene.
Oil from the hemp seed heart as opposed to hemp seed oil (which is from the whole seed) offers a darker color, and a more palatable, nutty flavor. Hemp seed oil from the whole seed can be bitter tasting.
Alternatively, Corn oil, soy oil, and canola oil are heat processed at temps as high as 180 degrees and then put through a hexane solvent bath. Hexane is a by-product of crude petroleum and is classified as a neurotoxin. The oils are then neutralized with caustic soda (sodium hydroxide). The next stage of processing is bleaching which removes chlorophyll and the carotenoids. The final process is deodorization, which uses pressurized steam at 500 degrees or more. Because nature's antioxidants like vitamin E and beta carotene are destroyed in this process, additives like BHT and BHA are then added to the oil to provide stability.
Traditional Beneficial Oil Containing Omega 3, 6 & 9 and Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA)
Hemp seed heart oil is a relative newcomer to the group of oils fed to horses, but it has a traditional use as a healthy, beneficial oil that dates back to the Ming Dynasty. Hemp seed oil is a unique oil in that contains all the identified essential fatty acids, known as the omegas. Hemp seed heart oil provides not only Omega 3 and Omega 6, but Omega 9 as well.
But what really sets Hemp seed heart oil apart from the other oils is that it provides GLA: gamma linolenic acid. Hemp seed plant based oilseed provides essential fatty acids: Linoleic acid (an omega 6) and alpha linolenic acid (an omega 3) in a 2.8:1 ratio of omega 6s to 3s. Though inverted in relation to what would be found in pasture grasses, hemp seed oil has an added "secret weapon" that is not commonly found: Gamma Linolenic acid (GLA). GLA is actually an omega 6 fatty acid, but, unlike other omega 6s that increase inflammation, GLA reduces it in humans, benefiting a wide array of chronic inflammatory-related illnesses including skin conditions, allergies, degenerative joint disease, heart disease, and diabetes. Although little research has been done on GLA in horses, it is reasonable to extrapolate its benefits to equine inflammatory conditions.
GLA is a regulator of the prostaglandins, the hormone-like substances that act as chemical messengers inside the cell
Their physiological effects include regulation of inflammation. There are two predominant prostaglandins:
- PGE-1 the anti-inflammatory prostaglandin
- PGE-2 the pro-inflammatory prostaglandin
GLA increases production of PGE-1, thus reducing the levels of PGE-2. Hemp seed oil further provides GLA, antioxidants, and the ability to reduce muscle glycogen fatigue.
Higher quality oils can fed at a lesser amount.
The higher quality of oil, the less you have to feed. Typically hemp seed heart oil is fed at the same amount of corn or soy or canola oils.**
|Fatty Acid Analysis||Percent (%) of Total Fat|
|Linoleic acid (omega 6)||55.9|
|Alpha Linolenic acid (ALA) (omega 3)||19.1|
|Oleic acid (omega 9)||9.3|
|Gamma Linolenic acid (GLA) (omega 6)||3.5|
|Stearidonic acid (SDA) (omega 3)||1.4|
Other nutritional info:
- Vitamin E: 100-150 mg per 100 ml
- Sterols: 478 mg per 100 mg
- Chlorophyll: 20-50 ppm
Higher quality oils can be fed at a lesser amount
The higher quality of oil, the less you have to feed. Typically hemp seed heart is fed at the same amount of corn or soy or canola oils.**
Hemp seed heart oil is typically fed at one ounce twice daily. High Performance horses; or those recovering from illness or inflammatory conditions, may require 2-3 ounces twice daily.
Best 18 months from production date with ideal storage (cool, out of direct sunlight). Refrigeration after opening is recommended but not necessary if kept in a cool space and used daily.
- Click here for a recent study on hemp products from the University of Edinburgh
- ** Dr. Tim Ober, USET veterinarian, conducted a small study in Florida in 2009 on hemp oil for the high performance jumpers. What he found was that hemp oil helped to maintain muscle glycogen reserves, thus reducing muscle glycogen depletion and fatigue.
Sizing, Price and Serving Details
- Four Liter jug - 135 ounces (68 two-ounce servings) $79.95
- SAVE with Two 4-Liter jugs - (136 two-ounce servings) $129.95
- One-ounce pump for 4-Liter jug - $5.00
- Twenty Liter - (335 two-ounce servings) $299.95
- SAVE with Two 20-Liter containers - (676 two-ounce servings) $499.95
- One-ounce pump for 20 Liter container $8.00
Other Hemp Products:
- Hemp Seed Meal 33% - formerly called "Hempseed Protein Fiber," offers higher quality protein than soy. Fat - 13% with 33% Protein. Choose this if you do not want your horse to have as many fat calories.
- Hemp Seed Hearts - Organic or Non-GMO- hemp hearts are the inner seed once the fibrous hull is removed. Concentrated in beneficial fats and quality protein. Fat - 43% with 30% Protein. Choose this for adding extra protein and fat.
*Hemp Seed Heart Oil is shipped via USPS and occasionally by FedEx within 2 days of your order. Free Shipping is within the continental U.S. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii or Canada will be charged separately (sorry, no international orders except for Canada). Please email GettyEquineNutrition@gmail.com or call 940-272-0001 for exact shipping charges.