NEW!! Getty Equine Nutrition is proud to offer you Premium Chia - USDA Certified Organic. They are human/food grade, and free from any use of chemical pesticides or herbicides. Just clean, quality chia for your horses' best self.
Horses require a source of essential fatty acids every day since their bodies cannot product them. Naturally found in healthy, growing pasture grasses, these important fatty acids are no longer available in hay once fresh grasses are cut and stored to make hay.
The essential fatty acid composition of chia seeds mimics those found in fresh pasture: 4 to 1 ratio of omega 3 (alpha linolenic acid) to omega 6 (linoleic acid).
It is important to pay attention to the level of omega 3s and 6s in the diet since most horses get their fat from soybean oil or other vegetable oils that are very high in omega 6s. Too much omega 6s and not enough omega 3s will increase inflammation and pain.
Please see the articles, "Chia Seeds - Nature's Tiny Miracle" for a discussion on the benefits of chia.
Chia seeds benefit your horse is a number of ways:
- Help with sand clearing from the cecum
- Protect the digestive tract through high levels of pectin - a water soluble fiber that forms a soothing gel
- Assists with metabolic conditions such as obesity, insulin resistance, leptin resistance, and PPID (Cushing's disease) due to omega 3s' impact on the hormones involved
- Their high fat content stabilize the horse's mood, unlike diets high in sugar and starch
- Reduces inflammation in joints
- Makes your horse shine, as well as strengthen hooves, skin, and hair
- Helps with inflammatory conditions such as ulcers, injuries, abscesses, surgery recovery, and stress responses
- Offers high quality protein to boost overall protein quality of the diet that supports tissue maintenance and repair
- Organic Chia Seeds are highly palatable
Feed 1 scoop per day for a full sized horse at maintenance. Horses with health issues or in hard work may benefit from 2 or more scoops per day.
Organic Chia Seeds are high in soluble fiber and may be used at 2 scoops (4 ounces) per day for a week each month to assist horses who consume significant quantities of sand while grazing.
Each 1/3 cup scoop provides slightly more than 2 ounces by weight and provides nearly 12000 mg of Omega 3s and 3500 mg of Omega 6s.
Note: To compare this to Organic Ground Flaxseeds, two-ounces (one 1/3 cup scoop) of Organic Chia Seeds is comparable in omega 3 and omega 6 content of 2 ounces (one 1/2 cup scoop) of Nutra Flax.
- Protein: 11.7 grams
- Omega 3 alpha linolenic acid: 11.9 grams (11900 mg)
- Omega 6 linoleic acid: 3.5 grams (3500 mg)
- Calcium: 405 mg
- Phosphorus: 605 mg
- Iron: 9.3 mg (very minimal level)
- Magnesium: 221 mg
- Zn: 2.1 mg
Organic Chia Seeds (Pure Salvia Hispanica L.)
Sizing, Price and Serving Details
All sizes with Free Shipping in Continental US (via USPS)* shipped fresh directly from the manufacturer.
WONDERFUL PRICES! Lower than Nutra Chia with higher quality
- 6 lbs bucket $45.95 - 48 two-ounce servings
- 12 lb bucket $86.95 - 96 two-ounce servings
25 lbs plastic pail $143.95 - 200 two-ounce servings
- 55 lbs sewn bag $229.95 - 440 two-ounce servings
* Organic Chia Seeds are generally shipped via UPS within 2 days of your order. Shipping may also go by USPS, depending on your location. Free Shipping is within the continental U.S. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, and all international locations will be charged separately. Please email GettyEquineNutrition@gmail.com or call 940-272-0001 for exact shipping charges prior to ordering to these areas.