Resource Library - Hoof, Skin & Hair
Your horse's hoof health is critical to his very survival.
Made of protein and key minerals, it is low on the totem pole when it comes to receiving the nutrients it needs. Vital organs including the heart, liver, lungs, and kidneys get "first dibs" on nutrients supplied by the diet. If there are nutrients remaining, then the hooves (along with other tissues such as skin and joints) are benefited. This is why it is so important that the diet contain ample supply of amino acids (from quality protein), vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids.
Proper digestion and absorption also play a key role in your horse's hoof health. If nutrients are not properly absorbed into the bloodstream, they will never reach the hooves. Leaky gut syndrome is becoming more prevalent in horses and has a significant impact on his overall health.
"Feed Your Horse Like A Horse" (starting at $57.95)
- Dr. Getty's comprehensive reference offering you information on a vast variety of topics. Hoof Health is addressed in detail, starting on page 270.
- A Close Look at Protein Quality
- Choose Hemp Instead of Soy!
- Colostrum - An Exceptional Superfood!
- Every Horse Needs These Five Things
- Myth - A Shiny Horse is a Healthy Horse
- Omega 3 Supplements - The Old and the New
Recorded Seminars ($9.95 each)
Recorded Webinars ($9.95 each)
Forage for Thought Newsletter (Free)
To receive free bi-monthly articles and news to help meet your horse's nutritional needs, consider subscribing to Forage for Thought - Dr. Getty's email newsletter. You may opt-in here - and may unsubscribe at any time.