Organic ground flax from Getty Equine Nutrition are:
- Certified USDA Organic
- Grown in the USA
- No preservatives
- All natural, golden flax and nothing else
The shelf life is at least one year
Store them in a sealed container, away from heat and direct sunlight. These flaxseeds are cold pressed using a micronizing process that naturally stabilizes them. If your feed room in your barn is very hot, you may want to only bring out about a week's work at a time and keep the rest in your air conditioned home. But during cooler seasons, they store very nicely.
Why Choose Ground Flax for Your Horse?
- Offer essential omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids in the same proportion that exists in healthy pasture grasses
- Promote healthy immune function
- Balance hormones especially for horses with metabolic conditions such as Insulin Resistance and Cushing's Disease
- Decrease inflammation in muscles, joints, tendons, and ligaments
- Ease allergies especially those involving insects such as sweet itch
- Help with skin disorders
- Improve hair coat making your horse shine
- Promote hard, healthy hooves
- Create normal foal growth and development
- Protect digestive microbiome through their high water soluble fiber (probiotic) content
Since your horse's body cannot produce essential fatty acids, a dietary source must be fed every day. There are two essential fatty acids: Linoleic acid (LA) (an omega 6) and Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) (an omega 3). The trouble with most equine diets is that they are too high in LA, which increases inflammation. The ideal diet will have more ALA than LA, because ALA actually reduces inflammation. Read more about this in "Omega 3 Supplements - the Old and the New"
Human food-grade ground flaxseeds are rich in high quality protein and essential fatty acids
- Crude Protein: 20%
- Crude Fat: 35%
- Crude Fiber: 20%
- Calcium: 1.2% (315 mg per ounce by weight)
- Phosphorus: 0.8% (220 mg per ounce by weight)
- Alpha Linolenic Acid (omega 3): 5600 mg per ounce by weight (28.375 grams)
- Linoleic Acid (omega 6): 1600 mg per ounce by weight
Organic Ground Flaxseeds from Getty Equine Nutrition are ready to feed. Just add to your horse's regular meals. When introducing your horse to ground flaxseeds, it is best to start with a small amount and take 7 to 10 days to build up to the regular dosage.
Most of my clients feed approximately two to six ounces by weight of ground flaxseeds per day. That equates to 1 to 3 scoops per day. The enclosed scoop is 1/2 cup (4 fluid ounces), providing 2 ounces, by weight, of ground flaxseeds.
For the full-sized horse (approximately 1100 lbs):
- Metabolic or inflammatory conditions: Feed 1 to 3 scoops per day
- Allergies, sweet itch, and weight gain: Feed 2 to 4 scoops per day.
- When used therapeutically for critical allergies or inflammation, horses can tolerate higher amounts of a short term basis, not to exceed 16 ounces by weight per day - equivalent 4 cups (or 8 scoops).
Adjust amounts for smaller or larger breeds.
Human Food Grade Organic ground golden flax. 24 month Shelf life.
Sizing, Price and Serving Details
All sizes with Free Shipping within Continental U.S. (via FedEx or USPS depending on size) *see below
All products are fresh and shipped directly from the manufacturer.
- 6 lb bag $ 31.95 (24 two-scoop servings)
- 14 lb bucket $57.95 (56 two-scoop servings)
- 28 lb bucket $90.95 (112 two scoop servings
- 50 lb sewn bag $138.95 (200 two-scoop servings)
- Order TWO 50 lb bags and save! $268.95 (400 two-scoop servings)
*Getty Equine Nutrition Organic Ground Flaxseeds are shipped via FedEx or USPS, depending on the package size, within 2 days of your order. Free Shipping is within the continental U.S. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, and other international locations will be charge separately. Please email GettyEquineNutrition@gmail.com or call 940-272-0001 for exact shipping charges prior to ordering.